I'm updating to Windows 10. Will your software continue to work?
We've become aware of a Duplicate Photo Cleaner registration glitch that some people experience when they update to Windows 10. We've investigated the problem and found a solution. So, if you are planning to update to Windows 10, please follow these steps before you run the update:
- Open Duplicate Photo Cleaner and click on "About" in the top right corner
- Make a note of your registration code, then select "Remove key" and close the program
- Update your operating system to Windows 10
- Open Duplicate Photo Cleaner again and click on the "Register Now" button
- Close the Web page that opens (you don't need that page because you already have your license code)
- Enter your license code and the e-mail address you used to register in a pop-up window that appears
- Click "Activate" and continue to enjoy Duplicate Photo Cleaner
How do I install Duplicate Photo Cleaner on a Mac?
- Download DuplicatePhotoCleaner.dmg from the duplicatephotocleaner.com website
- Double-click on the file you've just downloaded. A small window will appear
- Drag and Drop the DuplicatePhotoCleaner icon in the Applications folder
- Close the window
- Go to the Applications folder or to the Launchpad and launch Duplicate Photo Cleaner from there
- When you open Duplicate Photo Cleaner for the first time, your Mac may ask you if you are sure you want to open Duplicate Photo Cleaner. Click Open to launch the app.
License & Registration
What are the trial version limitations?
The trial version of Duplicate Photo Cleaner offers unlimited scanning for duplicates and similar images. You can then delete up to 10 duplicate groups with the trial version.
I thought I had purchased a license for 3 computers, but it looks like I've purchased a single-PC license. Is there any way to upgrade my license for the price difference between the two?
Please log into your account from this page. To the right of your license key, you'll see two links - to renew and to upgrade. Click on the Upgrade button and follow the prompts.
I want to install Duplicate Photo Cleaner on another computer using my current license key. Is that possible?
If you ever need to reinstall Duplicate Photo Cleaner or move it to a different computer, you should copy your license key and unregister the program before you do anything else. To do that click on "Help" and go to the "About" screen inside the program. Then make a note of your license key and remove the key. This will reset the license so that you can reactivate it on a new installation (this feature is limited to 3 times).
Note: if your license key has expired, please visit the Version History page on the site and download the version that was released before your key expired. An expired key will not activate any version released after the key's expiration.
My computer is not connected to the Internet. Is there a way to activate Duplicate Photo Cleaner offline?
Follow these steps to activate Duplicate Photo Cleaner on a computer that's not connected to the Internet:
- Purchase a license key and install Duplicate Photo Cleaner on your computer.
- Open Duplicate Photo Cleaner, click on Help in the menu and go to "About".
- Copy the product key from the popup that appears.
- Go to this page and open a support ticket. Make sure you send both your product key and your license key to the Support Team.
- Our Support Team will generate activation data for your copy of Duplicate Photo Cleaner and email it to you.
- Copy the activation data from the email, save it as a text file and put the file on a flash drive.
- Connect the flash drive to your offline computer, open the text file with the activation data, select all of it and copy it. Important: don't paste it anywhere at this point!
- Open Duplicate Photo Cleaner. If you have valid activation data and if you've followed these steps correctly, your copy of Duplicate Photo Cleaner will become activated.
If you're on Windows, you can ask the Support Team to email you a Master File that you can save to the folder where Duplicate Photo Cleaner is installed. Then simply open Duplicate Photo Cleaner and it will get activated.
Features & Options
What formats does Duplicate Photo Cleaner support?
Duplicate Photo Cleaner supports JPG, JPEG, GIF, TIF, PNG, JP2, BMP, ICNS, TGA, RAW, CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, X3F, BAY, ORF, SRF, MRW, DCR, CR2, and DNG.
How do I configure Duplicate Photo Cleaner to detect only exact duplicates?
All you need to do is set the image similarity threshold to 100%. To do that, open the program and click on Settings. In the new window go to the File Search tab and move the image similarity threshold slider to 100%. Click OK to save your settings.
I don't want Duplicate Photo Cleaner to load on system startup. What to do?
If you don't want Duplicate Photo Cleaner to load every time you start your computer, go to Settings - Preferences and uncheck Launch Start Dialog on Startup. Click OK to save your settings.
How can I get more information about the images?
Setting the scan results view to tree view will make the program display information like image width and height, size and modification date in addition to image location. To change your view settings to tree view, click on the View result menu item and select as Tree.
I want to scan for duplicate JPG images only. How can I prevent the program from detecting GIF, BMP and PNG files?
Simply go to program settings, navigate to the File Search tab and uncheck BMP, GIF and PNG. Click OK to save your settings.
What is the benefit of comparing photos in grayscale?
Comparing photos in grayscale will help you get more matches without lowering the image similarity threshold. When you search for duplicate and similar photos in grayscale as opposed to in full color, Duplicate Photo Cleaner disregards color changes. This method allows you to find more duplicate photos and more similar images you may want to move or delete.
To compare photos in grayscale, go to Duplicate Photo Cleaner settings and check "Use grayscale comparison" on the File Search tab.
Can I manage duplicates in my iPhoto and Photos Libraries with Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
Yes, absolutely. To find and delete duplicate images from your Photos or iPhoto library, open Duplicate Photo Cleaner and select Photos or iPhoto scan mode in the top right corner of the software window. Photos or iPhoto will open and you'll be offered to select the folders you want to scan for duplicates. When done, start the scan and wait for Duplicate Photo Cleaner to find all the duplicates.
Deleting duplicates is safe because they are put in iPhoto or Photos trash and you can restore them if you want to.
What is Sector Detail Scan and how does it work?
Sector Detail Scan is a scan mode introduced in Duplicate Photo Cleaner 2.8. This mode lets you select a sector on an image and search other images for that particular sector. Here is how to use it:
- Select "Sector Detail Scan" as your scan mode
- Select the folders you want to scan for similar images
- Add a photo and select a sector on it that you want to find in other images
- Start the scan
Because Sector Detail Scan is very precise, it can take several hours to complete the scan. To make your scans faster, we suggest that you set the similarity threshold to 50% and scan smaller folders.
What is the difference between Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
Both Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner are designed to find and delete duplicate files. The main difference between these two apps is that Easy Duplicate Finder™ works with duplicates of all file types, whereas Duplicate Photo Cleaner works with images only. In addition to that, Easy Duplicate Finder™ can only find exact duplicates. Duplicate Photo Cleaner is different because it can detect both identical and similar images, such as resized and edited photos. It can also find photos in different formats (a .JPG file vs. a .PNG file, for example).
If you are having trouble choosing between Easy Duplicate Finder™ and Duplicate Photo Cleaner, ask yourself what types of duplicates you want to find. Easy Duplicate Finder™ is ideal if you want to delete duplicate documents, songs, photos, emails and videos from your computer. But if all you want to do is organize your extensive image library, consider getting Duplicate Photo Cleaner. It will not only help you find and delete duplicate photos, but also let you easily sort through similar shots and decide which ones to keep and which to delete or move.
How can I select multiple images when the scan is complete?
You can select images you want to delete in bulk on the Scan Results screen. Use the "Select Photos" drop-down menu to select all duplicates, select all originals, or select only high or low-resolution images.
How can I delete multiple files in Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
To delete several files in one go, select the files you want to delete and then click on the trash can icon in the top right corner of the app screen.
I have a really large photo library. What's the best way to manage it with Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
If you have a very large photo library, follow these steps to make deleting duplicate and similar photos as efficient as possible:
- Go to Duplicate Photo Cleaner settings and set the similarity threshold to 100%, then scan your whole photo library. This will allow you to find exact duplicates and delete them in a single click.
- When your photo collection is free from exact duplicates, go back to the Settings and set the similarity threshold to 85%.
- Break up your photo library into several manageable parts, scan it part by part, and resolve similar images in each part.
- When done, scan your whole photo library once again to find any duplicates and similar photos you might have missed.
Is there a way to compare images in folder A against images in folder B with Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
Simply go to the Scan Mode drop-down menu and choose Folder Comparison. Then add a source folder to the left drag & drop area and Duplicate Photo Cleaner will treat files in this folder as the originals. Then add the folders you want to compare against the source folder to the target scan area to the right and run a scan. When done, use Duplicate Photo Cleaner to delete the duplicates as you normally would.
What exactly does the Folder Comparison scan mode do?
The Folder Comparison mode is a special scan mode that makes it easy to compare images in two or more folders. It treats files in Source Folders as originals (master files), thus helping you to avoid any confusion when you're choosing which photos to delete and which to keep. This mode is great for comparing files on external drives with images on your computer and merging folders.
How does Duplicate Photo Cleaner decide which photos are the originals and which are the duplicates?
When you are using most scan modes, Duplicate Photo Cleaner considers the first image in a group of duplicates the original file.
When you switch to the Folder Comparison mode, all the files in the Source Folder(s) are treated as the originals, while the photos in target folders are marked as the duplicates.
In Sector Detail Scan mode, the source image file is the original.
What is multi-threaded image processing?
This feature makes Duplicate Photo Cleaner use all available CPU cores for image processing. Enabling this feature makes the scan up to 50% faster.
How does Duplicate Photo Cleaner? Does it simply compare Meta (EXIF) data or does it compare the actual images?
Duplicate Photo Cleaner uses an advanced algorithm to compare the actual images, just like a human would. Depending on the program settings, it may take EXIF data into account when determining image similarity level.
My scan got stuck! What to do?
If your scan with Duplicate Photo Cleaner got stuck or is very slow, don't panic because most likely it's not a bug. This could be happening because you've chosen a very accurate scan mode and added too many images for Duplicate Photo Cleaner to compare. Just stop your current scan and try the following:
- Add smaller folders - don't scan your entire image library in one go
- If you are using Sector Detail Scan, lower the similarity threshold to 50% and never add large folders
- Eliminate true duplicates first - select Standard Scan and set the similarity threshold to 100%, delete the duplicates and then start looking for similar images in smaller chunks
This will help you speed up Duplicate Photo Cleaner scans and manage your photos more effectively.
My Windows computer won't let me install Duplicate Photo Cleaner. What to do?
Most likely, your computer needs you to run the installer as Administrator. Here is how you can do that:
- Right-click on the duplicatephotocleanersetup.exe setup file
- Select "Run as Administrator..."
- Follow the setup instructions
I accidentally closed Duplicate Photo Cleaner. Is there a way for me to load previous scan results?
While Duplicate Photo Cleaner doesn't load your previous scan results automatically, there is a way for you to save the list of duplicate files and thus speed up scans or resume interrupted scans. Here's what you need to do:
- Run a scan with Duplicate Photo Cleaner
- When the scan is finished, click on the "Go Fix Them" button
- Right-click on the results, select "Save duplicate list to file" and save the file to your computer
Now if you accidentally close the program and/or your computer crashes, you'll be able to load duplicates from the list. To do that, open Duplicate Photo Cleaner, right-click anywhere within the program window and select "Load duplicate list from file". Select the file you saved and proceed to managing your duplicates.
My system crashed and Duplicate Photo Cleaner got unregistered. How do I get my software up and running again?
First of all, go to www.duplicatephotocleaner.com, download the .exe (Windows) or .dmg (Mac) installation file and install Duplicate Photo Cleaner. If you have a license key, you can log into your account with the email address used when you purchased your license key from this page. There you will see your current license key. You can also find your license key in the email we sent you when you purchased Duplicate Photo Cleaner. Use the key to activate Duplicate Photo Cleaner by running the program and entering the license key in the activation box.
If you discover that your license key has expired, make sure you go to the "Version History" page and install an older version, the one for which you bought the key. Duplicate Photo Cleaner will work as it should, although you won't be able to download updates. Your key should activate any version released prior to your software expiring.
If you lost your license key, please submit a support ticket and send us all the relevant information about your purchase.
I have a drive that has only photos on it. After about 15 minutes of scanning, the program hangs.
Duplicate Photo Cleaner supports large amounts of files and works on large drives. Please make sure your drive is not damaged and doesn't have bad sectors. Also please make sure you have the latest version of Duplicate Photo Cleaner installed. You can check for new versions by opening the program, clicking on Help in the menu and clicking on Update.
Duplicate Photo Cleaner reported that some duplicate files could not be deleted. Why is that and how can I fix this?
There could be several reasons why Duplicate Photo Cleaner is not deleting these files. Here are the most common fixes for this problem:
- Make sure you are using Duplicate Photo Cleaner as administrator. To do that, close the program, right-click on its shortcut on your desktop and select "Run as administrator" from the right-click menu.
- The files you are trying to delete are being used by another application. Close all programs except Duplicate Photo Cleaner and try deleting the duplicates again.
- UAC (User Access Control) is preventing you from deleting the files. Try disabling UAC or editing its sensitivity from the Control Panel, then try deleting the files again.
- Make sure the files you're trying to delete aren't located on a read-only drive, like a CD or a DVD.
I've installed Duplicate Photo Cleaner on my Mac but I can't open it. What to do?
Most likely, that's happening because your Mac settings are preventing apps from third party developers from running on your computer. Changing the settings will help. To do that, click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences. When the System Preferences window opens, go to Security & Privacy. On the General tab click on the lock to be able to make the changes and enter your password. Under "Allow apps downloaded from:" select "Mac App Store and identified developers" or "Anywhere". Now you should be able to open Duplicate Photo Cleaner.
I still use Windows XP on my computer. Is Duplicate Photo Cleaner compatible with it?
Yes, Duplicate Photo Cleaner is compatible with Windows XP even though it's designed to work on the newest operating systems to ensure highly accurate results and great performance. However, Windows XP is an outdated OS and even Microsoft stopped supporting it. That's why some users may experience problems using the latest versions of Duplicate Photo Cleaner on XP. If that's the case with you, we suggest you download the following version: